Linggo, Setyembre 25, 2016

Movie Review, Reflection: Bridget Jones’s Baby starring Renee Zelleweger

The film series that I watched religiously in theaters were Harry Potter (except Goblet of Fire), Spider-Man (starring Tobey Maguire), and Kill Bill (Uma Thurman).  What I always forget is I also complete Bridget Jones’s Diary series top billed by Renee Zellweger.  I only realized this personal fact after I saw the long overdue Bridget Jones’ Baby (2016), which is the follow up of Bridget Jones’s Diary: Edge of Reason (2004)See the gap?

I was too young when the first two installments were released in theaters. I like those films because of the British accents, funny scenes, leading men, and the titular character of Bridget. Now I appreciate this film series (adapted from the novel series of Helen Fielding) more because it has character-driven and enjoyable romantic-comedy approaches, but full of sense. 

What remains intact in Bridget Jones’s 3rd installment


Bridget Jones’s Baby serves the same feel that I love about this film series, but with matured vibe. I still feel how romantic it is to be with someone you love. How happy it is to finally experience that you're in  a smooth sailing relationship.  And when all your fears become joys and courage in your life. 

Honestly, it’s hard not to be affected with Zellweger’s controversial look. I grow up watching her particularly in the films The Bachelor, Chicago, and Miss Potter. I miss her chubby face and curvaceous body, but you know what? As soon as you already immersed  in the world of Bridget Jones, the issue doesn't make sense. After all Renee is still Renee who embodies Bridget effectively. In fact, her look fits well with the character’s maturity (43-years old in the story).   

The differences of Bridget Jones’s Baby   

·         Patrick Dempsey as Jack Quant - I admit I don’t read the novel series so I am not aware of Jack so surprise-surprise! Compare to Daniel Cleaver (played by Hugh Grant and who’s allegedly dead in the film), Jack is an ideal man  who you’d like to be your partner and father of your baby.  He’s rich, witty, charming, and responsible. It’s insane to dump him for someone else.

      Dempsey plays well the character, however it’s something that doesn't standout. I guess, it’s because of the too-good-to-be-true persona of Jack or I always see him in goody-goody laid back roles (Sweet Home Alabama, Enchanted, and Valentine’s Day).

·         The fun sides of Being Single – Obviously, the whole film series features the struggles of being single and the fear of becoming spinster. However, this installment brings the idea that being unattached makes you enjoy meeting new people and discover other things in life. It also helps you to realize the love that you desire and its implications in your individuality.

·         Bridget Jones is also career-oriented-  It’s only now that I realize, Bridget is also a career-woman. Perhaps I was young then to notice this side of her or because it's overshadowed by the love triangle (Daniel- Bridget- Marc). Now, I appreciate this film more because it shows women at work. How they try their best to perform their duties by being adaptable and dynamic despite of their struggles.  

       I like Bridget's line "maybe when my boy is old enough to understand, integrity will be fashionable again." It’s for her young new boss who believes crazes and interesting issues overpowers old formula of news reporting.   In general, I agree with this topic because office politics, changes, and desperate needs are parts of any jobs. However, there’s something you can’t really embrace because it’s against your values. In the end, if you accept your limitations (like age and beliefs), then you know where you can draw strengths and start your way to success.   

·         On motherhood – the only unbelievable part of this movie is the confusion of who’s the father of Bridget’s baby.  In this aspect, Marc Darcy (Colin Firth)’s reaction is the sole realistic thing you can get. But despite of the roller coaster ride of the love triangle among the leads, you still feel the happiness of motherhood. Two of my favorite scenes are when Bridget hears her baby's heartbeat and when people believe that Jack and Marc are in a relationship. By the way, Emma Thompson is very cool as a doctor here.

·        
The imperfect side of ideal man Marc Darcy – Although Marc Darcy has a stoic face and unconventional taste, he’s one of the interesting and charming movie male characters I know.  In this film, you’ll not only understand Marc’s issues with Bridget. You’ll also sympathize with Bridget’s desperation to cope up with him. You know, there are features of your man that makes him who he is or makes him extraordinary. However, those also the reasons why it’s hard to have a romantic relationship with him.   In case of Marc, he always travels and busy with his career as a barrister.  I can feel Bridget’s love and frustration on him.

 Overall, Bridget Jones’s Baby brings the light, romance, and inspiration that I love about it. It also wins in bringing new insights and perspectives when it comes to womanhood, love, and triumph in life.  Sulit!






Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento