Lunes, Oktubre 10, 2016

Review: Wedding starring Jang Nara, Ryu Si-Wwon

In 2007, ABS-CBN aired Wedding starring Ryu Si Won and Jang Nara (JN). JN has become my favorite Korean actress because of her strong quirky roles and amusing romantic-comedy dramas such as Successful Story of a Bright Girl, and My Love Patzzi.  What’s the difference of the Wedding? It’s a straight drama and about married life,which is far from the other two  Korean Drama. Is it because of Ryu Si Won’s influence?

 (Note: I discovered and watched first the Wedding before C-drama MyBratty Princess).

Review:

One of the first factors I like about Wedding were not about the story.  I like the light and happy beat of it's OBB “Its Alright," which also sung by JN. The cinematography was also fantastic especially the outdoor locations and the fashionable outfits of Lee Se-na (JN) and her clique Oh Soo-Ji (Kong Hyun-Joo) and Cha Eun-Hee (Kim Min-Joo).


Cast / Acting.  

Maybe it’s my first time to see Jang Nara in a serious drama that’s why  I’m confused whether she gave justice to her role or not. However, there were many instances that she finely portrayed her childish character Lee Se-na in thought-provoking scenes.  I like her JN's acting when Lee Se-na decided to divorce, and charm her husband Han Seung-Woo (Ryu Si-won).

On the other hand, Jang Nara effectively reinvented her look in the series. She’s no more the boyish type, but a pure, girly, and hopeless romantic lady.  I like the colors of her outfits that were usually modern and youthful. Those complemented her mission to offer something new to the audience.  Furthermore, her total make-over package fitted perfectly to passive and career-man Han Seung-woo of Ryu Si Won.  Although I think he’s been typecast or doing the same acting style, Ryu Si Won portrayed well his character.  You’ll respect Han Seung-woo's ability and ethics, though you’ll also feel that he’s ignorant or insensitive.  Based on their physical looks, Ryu Si Won looks like an ahjussi for JN initially. However, as you continue watching the show, the look or whatever differences vanish because he’s a good actor.  


 Sometimes I understand Myung Se-bin's Shin Yoon-soo, but  most of the time, I ignored her  and it felt like that I am bad for judging her. It’s because she’s a modest woman, but confused and weak in her love life. Who doesn’t feel weak and lost when in love, right? On top of this, she also raised to control her feelings for Han Seung-woo. Then, when there were opportunities for them, they’re not in-sync. Cruel love!  Of course if you’re Team Lee Se-na, Shin Yoon-soo's struggles were immaterial and annoying.  As for Lee Hyun-woo playing Seo Jin-hee, this is another typecast role for him. It’s because he’s again the ideal man, but only ends up as a part of the love triangle or square (watch Rootop Room Cat, Dal-ja's Spring, and Oh My Lady).

By the way, I like the supporting cast/ characters particularly Lee Se-na’s BFFs  (Oh Soo-Ji  played by Kong Hyun-Joo) and Cha Eun-Hee of Kim Min-Joo) and. parents  (Lee Jung-Il played by Kang Seok-Woo and   Sung Hye-Rim of  Na Young-Hee). 

Story/ Direction:  

  • ·         Because I couldn’t stand a lady (Jang Nara) courting a guy (except: my favorite Ariel Lin’s Yuan Xiang Qin in It Started With A Kiss) persistently, I skipped episode 4 and 5. Plus the fact, they looked boring.
  •   I don’t like most of the dialogues especially the lead characters were always unnecessarily and repetitively apologetic. You always hear lines such as “this is all my fault” or “I’m sorry.” 
  • ·         As whole, Wedding’s story is ideal to watch for those planning, getting, and wishing to get married. The show would make you realize that in marriage, it’s not only about love or being with someone. It also recognizing your partner’s past, present, and future.  
Note: Originally written on May 1, 2009

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento